"Edson’s vivid portrayal of the urban area, as well as the working class and underclass, creates a vision of Saint John that highlights the discrepancy between the pre-modern idyllic notion of life in Atlantic Canada and the more complicated reality of the region."


-The New Brunswick Literary Encyclopedia

Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Day I Met Ernest Hemingway


In 1999 I traveled to Oak Park to celebrate Ernest Hemingway's 100th birthday, where I met his three sons. Below is the article I published about the experience. It has been 17 years since I wrote it and my knowledge of Hemingway today is far greater than it was then; I found a glaring error right in the beginning and now must correct myself...Hemingway placed the barrels (there were two) of the shotgun on his forehead, not in his mouth. 

 


No comments: